Monday, April 23, 2012

Bang bang!

The Roguish Robot, now complete! Critique last Thursday was very helpful, got some good advice from my classmates and professor. I added some color to the robot's "skin" to help him stand out, hardened and softened some edges, lightened the lighter strip of sky with a very, very, very light wash of orange heavily diluted with white, and put a few subtle brushstrokes around some parts of the figure.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it's really close to the original idea I had in my mind of "robot-with-gun-briefcase-and-red-streak-over-eyes." By the way, that darn red streak took something like 15 tries (I wasn't really keeping track, but it was a lot) to get right.
Now I have to figure out what to add digitally. I don't know about you, but I'm thinkin' lens flare. (sarcasm)

And here's a little bonus because I'm feeling generous:


A book cover I painted for Illustration 4, for a sci-fi-ish children's chapter book from the mid-1960s about a kid from another world who falls through a portal into hicksville USA, and hijinks ensue. My professor assigned the book.
Also part of the assignment were 2 black-and-white interior illustrations and chapter heading illustrations:
I went for a slightly old-school style with my nib pen and ink.
The chapter headings are still in .psd format, so I can't post them as is. I'm arranging them all on two seperate sheets and adding the chapter titles next to each of them. I'm almost done but may need to make some changes before I print them, so I don't want to convert them to jpeg just yet. Keep an eye out for them on my future blog posts!

See y'all later!
-Will


4 comments:

  1. The Forgotten Door reminds me of the opening from MYST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hi Stephanie. Never played MYST but the image seems familiar.

      Delete
  2. Super changes on the robot painting...love, love, love the sky. Color additions really make it vibrant.
    Interior illustrations very good. Love the bristly hair on the guy's shoulder and the lights in the night drawing.
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom. There technically were colors in the robot before, the grey I made was a mix of blue and orange. I just mixed them in a way that ended up being so neutral it looked like plain grey.

      Delete